If you are a tenant and your home is affected by damp and/or mould we can assist you.


Common issues may include:

  • penetrating damp
  • rising damp
  • condensation and mould growth


If you are a tenant and are experiencing dis-repair issues relating to the structure and/or exterior of your home we can assist you.


Your landlord is responsible for keeping in repair the structure and exterior of your home, for example;

  • the walls,
  • roof,
  • foundations,
  • drains,
  • guttering
  • external pipes
  • windows
  • external doors


It is important to note that such responsibilities cannot be cancelled out by anything your tenancy agreement may say.


Did you know your landlord isn't allowed to pass on the cost of any repair work to you which is their responsibility.

Are mice, rats or other pests or vermin causing problems in your rented home?

Usually, it is the responsibility of your landlord to deal with any pests/vermin infestation if the problem is caused by the conditions in your rented home.

It is your landlord's responsibility to fix holes in the wall or floor which allow rats or mice to enter your home.


If pests and vermin cause damage to your home it is your landlord's responsibility to repair the damage, for example:

  • fix doors, skirting boards, pipes, brickwork when rats or mice have chewed through them
  • urgently fix any damage to electrical wiring

Your landlord has a legal duty to ensure that all wiring and/or any electrical appliances in any rented home is safe. This applies to all landlords.

Your landlord should arrange regular basic safety checks

It should be noted that the condition and safety of your own appliances are, of course your responsibility.


The landlord must repair:

  • Faulty electrical wiring
  • Unsteady currents, which cause flickering in plugged in appliances and devices
  • Power cuts in the property, that do not affect your neighbours
  • Broken power socket covers, where the plastic reveals the wiring
  • Loose power socket, which is not fixed effectively to the wall
  • Sparkling power socket when you plug an appliance in
  • Faulty fuse box that constantly trips the circuit
  • Burned out light bulbs or light bulb sockets
  • Faulty light switches
  • Malfunctioning electrical equipment that is property of the landlord (e.g. washing machine, boiler, etc.)

Under the law landlords have responsibilities under the law.


Your landlord has a duty to ensure that the gas supply and appliances in your home:

  • are in a safe condition
  • are fitted or repaired by a Gas Safe registered engineer
  • have a gas safety check every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer


Including, (but not limited to);

  • Gas pipework,
  • Gas boilers,
  • Gas fires
  • Gas water heaters


It should be noted that the landlord isn't responsible for the safety of gas appliances you own.

Your landlord is responsible for the installation of smoke alarms within your rented property.


Before you move into a rented property the landlord is required to provide you with a copy of the latest gas safety record.  If you were not provided with a copy you can request a copy directly from your landlord.

© 2017 Housing Disrepair Advice | housingdisrepairadvice.co.uk / housingdisrepairadvice.com are trading styles of Dynamic Assistance Ltd

Registered offices: Amber House, Green Lane, Old Swan, Liverpool, L13 7GD | Company Registration Number 07760306